Thursday, February 13, 2014

The First Time I Gave Birth

Today my little Valentine turns 4. I just can not believe it. Where, oh where, has the time gone? 

The story of Adelia's birth is a fun one, intertwined with a blizzard and people driving 90 miles per hour through it. So I invite you to sit back, relax and enjoy the story of Adelia Paige. 


Finally admitted....
So there I was, 39 weeks pregnant and ready to get this kid out. Sensing my heightening anxiety my doctor decided to do a full membrane sweep on me. Without telling me. (Which is an ENTIRE other story...) Just imagine sitting up off the table and seeing a decent sized puddle of blood on the floor coming from your womb. Uh, thanks for the heads up, doc?

After we freaked out a bit he did explain what had happened and that 'd likely be in labor within 48 hours. I was convinced that, despite being served legal and formal eviction papers, Adelia was determined to never be born. So I rolled my eyes and
 we left.

Well wouldn't you know it? 48 hours later I was pretty sure I was in labor.

Funny thing that happened #1 
Didi at 1
I knew that once we checked into the hospital I'd be put on a diet of clear fluids only. So I asked Chris to stop at Frisch's Big Boy for breakfast buffet on our way to the hospital.

Yes, really.

Note: If you're able to stop for breakfast... at a buffet... it's not yet time to go to the hospital. 

But we went anyway. The contractions didn't progress and they suggested I walk around the hospital to get them going.

Note: If you can still walk AROUND the ENTIRE hospital... it's not yet time to be at the hospital. 

We were discharged. Surprise, surprise.

So back home I went with an Ambien to help me rest and the promise that if this was real labor, they suspected it was not, I would wake up ready to go. I slept a LONG time, and woke up feeling some pressure but pretty great. But, it was now bedtime, so back to bed I went.

The contractions didn't stop though. And about 3:30 a.m. Chris sat right up in bed and said, "That's IT! I can't listen to you like this anymore. We're going back to the hospital!"

So we loaded up and headed out.

Funny thing that happened #2
Didi at 2
A blizzard (quite literally, not just snow but a full fledged blizzard) had blown in while we slept. Our car was stuck in the snow. Going nowhere. 22 some phone calls later (not an exaggeration) to our buddies down the street for help... we finally decided Chris would shove the car and I, in active labor, would steer. Oh what a sight we must have been.

This time we did not stop at Big Boy. And I didn't walk into L&D. I rolled in a wheelchair.

Even so, false labor they said. But instead of sending me home, they put me into a room no one was monitoring to "wait it out."

I was in misery, folks. And Chris thought I was loosing my mind. He told the nurses as much. I remained just 1cm and in increasing distress. Since it was deemed false labor, of course no meds were offered.

Funny thing that happened #3
Didi at 3
If you know me, you know I have some stomach issues. So, hours later with no nurse checks, when I felt the urge to poop ... let's just say I was livid. I remember thinking, "Now? NOW? Really, body? NOW?" I yelled some curse word at the top of my lungs and punched the tile bathroom wall so hard I could have broken my hand. I refused to poop. I just told my body no, and wobbled back to bed.

Hearing the scream... and wall punch... Chris decided to go tell a nurse his wife had officially gone crazy. Finally, the nurse decided to do an internal exam.

Well, what do you know? I was 9.5 cm and didn't need to poop... but rather to push. IT WAS TIME.

Here I was, at a hospital, and I almost had a toilet baby anyway. Now that would have been a real, "You gotta see this before I flush this!" moment, eh? Wonder if they would have still charged me hospital and delivery fees? 

Anyhow, I called my aunt in Tennessee to come quickly. Hence the 90 miles per hour in a blizzard story.

Chris became a dad on Valnetines Day
Back at the hospital I had to be give an "epi light" which is like an epidural, but lasts only 4 hours. The intended purpose was to give me a rest and let Adelias head roll into a better position for delivery.

4 hours later the meds were gone and it was time to have a baby. Luckily, my aunt made the 5.5 hour drive in just under 4 hours and was ready to help.

So I pushed...

And I pushed... 

And then for fun, I pushed some more. 

My forever Valentine

After nearly 2 HOURS of pushing the doc suggested a C Section to, "Just be done with this."

It was like he was asking me to translate Arabic into French. After a natural labor, and working on a natural delivery, the idea of gutting me like a fish for no reason other than convenience was as foreign to me as surrogacy must seem to many of you. My answer was no freaking way.

We pushed some more. He got forcepts.

Then, about 40 minutes later my little baby Didi was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment